Tuesday, November 14, 2017

What do you need?



I have a strong need for purpose.   This is a need that every human being has.  And it is on the inventory list of needs for non-violent communication.  Without purpose, I feel frustrated, angry, sad, and a lack of belonging.

Every human being also has a need for self-efficacy.  This desire for self -efficacy manifests in the ability to create something.  What fuels my desire for projects that I undertake is leading a life that is purposeful.

I guess, some folks don't think about their purpose in life until there are major shifts or uncomfortable changes that put you into the bargaining stages of grief. That is a reality for a lot of people. And I am no different.  I read something about a mental exercise that could assist in defining your purpose in life by imagining your funeral.

Imagine the folks who are alive when you are dead.
What truth about you would be in their words?
Would you have lived in a way such that people could openly celebrate your life?

The saddest thing that I ever heard was a funeral of a woman where few people showed up.  Those folks instead talked about how they felt about this woman outside of the funeral.  Even still, there are people who are so disconnected that they are buried by the department of parks and recreation. I wonder what is said about those people.

Our faith has as its first principle, the inherent worth and dignity of  every person.  So, maybe imagining what people say about you or anyone after death is a question that puts the emphasis in a place that lacks resonance for you.

No one is perfect and people will talk.  The song I've sung the most- by Son House- says "Don't you mind about people grinnin' in your face."

So what do you need? or maybe another way to ask the question is how do you want to be?

Be 

Love

This however requires.....................................

As in  a little education about how to be  Beloved Community.  We can get there. We just need to ask ourselves what we need and do the work to get those needs met. And get those needs met in a win-win way.  We area all walking this way....U U.  And just as a matter of principle, whatever U do to the web has an effect on U too.





1 comment:

  1. I need to be able to express myself!
    I want to be known as a person who empowers others. A person who listens. A problem-solver that makes the world a better place. Is that too much to ask?

    ReplyDelete